Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Year of 23

Just over a year ago my life changed in a number of ways.  As I closed a chapter of my life at Appalachian State University I gladly opened the next, post-graduation.  My graduation weekend occurred with an emotional roller coaster.  The life I had known for the last four years and loved so dearly was coming to an abrupt end.  On one hand I was saying "legitra'ot" (see you later in Hebrew להתראות) to many friends, family, and mentors.  But on the other hand I was starting fresh, leaving with no strings attached on my journey that was sure to be full of excitement and adventure.  So without further ado, here is a lengthy synopsis of what has the potential to be my best year, The Year of 23.

I woke up early and disgruntled, I was supposed to do my hair, I was supposed to be excited.  Instead I did what was only natural to me, make sure my hair looked decent enough and put on some clothes and a minimal amount of make up.  This was how I've looked for the last 4 years of my college career why put on a show and change today?  Plus I hadn't slept well and already said see ya to many a friend.  I made it to the convocation center and went through the motions of graduation.  I walked across the stage when my name was called, I shook hands with Chancellor Peacock, I gave the best fake smile I could muster, and I took a picture in front of the Appalachian sign with my brother as a drizzle began.  This was it, this was graduation.  Sure didn't feel like what I had imagined instead it was just something to do on Mother's Day.

The cliche graduation picture (just as the drizzle began)...check
The days leading up to graduation were much more promising, at least the good parts were so I'll focus on those.  After moving out of my apartment on Friday and looking at the forecast it appeared this would be the last time I would have to go climbing in Boone for quite a while so that's what I did.  I gleefully carried two crash pads to the Neighborhood Boulders.  Things were going great, I had completed all my exams, moved completely out of my apartment, completed my Honors requirements and thesis, and all of my immediate family was on their way to Boone for the first time since summer camp.  All that was left to concur was my project, The Adam Taylor Arete.  I knew I should probably have a spotter due to the potential hazardous fall but I also knew I could send it.  I set up the pads, put on a Katana on my right foot for the heel hook and a Viper on the left for edging precision, chalked up, pressed record on the camera, took a deep breath and began.  The result is below... sorry didn't feel like editing or even putting music but got some uncut footage bros

I was beyond psyched.  I remembered the first time I had tried this, it had felt impossible, I never thought I would figure out my own beta but over many days and nights of hard work, lots of falling, perfect temps, good times, and beers it had gone.  I had done it, being alone gave me time to reflect on the past four years and how thankful I was to have gone to such a wonderful school, in an amazing place, and with such incredible people.  To make things more cliche, I topped out with a beautiful sunset in the background, things were lovely.  The following day, my only graduation request (besides the coolest Leatherman from my brother) was to have a lunch with some of my mentors and friends.  The guests included people that have made a tremendous impact on my life along the way, truly shaping me into the person I have become.  It wasn't much but it was a token of appreciation for all their work with me over the years.  If you are reading this now, more than likely you know me, therefore these people too have touched your life because they have shaped me. 

My family has been my rock throughout my entire life.  They have supported me through sports practices and competitions, good times and bad, surgeries and sickness, etc.  They have continued to praise my accomplishments and give me constructive criticism to better myself.  My father has been an inspiration for most of my projects and encouraged me to try new things today, because no one is guaranteed tomorrow.  My mother has always taught to me follow my dreams no matter how big they are.  And my brother well he's been my best friend for the past 23 years and has always been the guy to admire.
Graduation Lunch
My supportive family!
Nick & Sophie, these two are more than words can say.  Nick was my camp counselor from 6th grade on and Sophie as well for my aging out year.  The following year our relationship transformed into a friendship as I joined the staff at camp and we were all co-workers.  That summer Nick took me climbing at Grandmother for the first time and I was hooked.  The rest of my high school was spent in climbing gyms with an occasional trip to get on some real rock.  When it was time for me to choose between colleges it only seemed natural to become a Mountaineer and our friendship was rekindled.  I became part of their family with no hesitation.  Every month or so I would stay at their house for a home cooked me and to get away from dorm life.  Sophie would pick me up and we would go snowboarding in the winter, I would meet Nick on campus before heading to Cha Da Thai or Proper for lunch.  They are my family, they give me advice when I need it, concepts to ponder until early hours of the day, shoulders to cry on, and a place to call home.  

Family: Nick & Sophie
Lastly, Dr. Sue Edwards gave me opportunities that have changed my life.  When I returned from New Zealand as a junior, well I simply longed to return.  It was great to see friends and family and climb in the high country again but it wasn't New Zealand.  I reached out to Sue, who was my professor in Human Systems Physiology at the time, and an Aussie.  Her class was fascinating and her accent reminded me of classes down under (for the record though, Aussie's and Kiwi's have distinctly different accents aye).  During a class on the nervous system she had explained how her best friend in Australia lived with Multiple Sclerosis, following this lecture I knew I had a deeper connection with her even if she didn't yet realize this.  I went to her office hours and asked if she had any space in her laboratory and if I could join.  I shadowed and learned the basics for the remainder of the semester before she put me on my own project involving Lamprey and Hagfish funded by a grant from NSF.  She went over the basics with Margo and I..."just follow the recipes and pipette precisely, each ~10mL experiment is between $50 and $200."  I was terrified of messing something up but she trusted me and gave me the confidence to trust myself.  I began spending many hours and evenings in lab, carrying out experiments and hoping for results.  When it was time to undertake a thesis there was no one else I would have considered besides Sue.  She edited and tweaked my thesis time and time again even though she is the busiest person I know she always made time for her students.  She opened a number of doors for me, allowing me to go to Utah to present research at the National Conference of Undergraduate Research, making me a competent research technician, and taking me with her Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory.  She has instilled confidence and competence in me, she has been hard on me at times but only because she cares, and she continues to put a smile on my face to this day. 
Sue and I in some interesting attire...oh graduation
Okay so that was the real graduation.  Two days later I walked through airport security and made my way to Cape Town, South Africa, via Dubai.  I traveled and hiked around the amazing city before heading to Bloemfontein for an internship in Nutrition.  I was based in private and public hospitals, as well as rural areas and townships to experience the importance of nutrition in a country consumed of poverty, hypertension, diabetes, and HIV/AIDS.  If you would like an in depth record of this journey please visit my South Africa Blog.  I learned a copious amount during this time and met many people that are incredible at what they do.  Following the internship I found some people on a climbing website who were excited to split the costs of driving to the Cederburg National Forest to climb in ROCKLANDS!
Measuring head circumference at my internship
Rocklands was a dream come true.  There were boulders spanning the entire landscape and world class climbing everywhere.  Sitting around the fire in the evenings you would meet people from countries around the globe.  The weather was not ideal but it didn't stop us from climbing as much as possible.  I ended up climbing with some amazing guys that were more than hospitable.  After a week of climbing, a visit to the emergency room, raw fingertips, and being encouraged in over 5 different languages we headed back to the coast.  I said my farewells to my new South African friends and boarded the plane.  I can't wait to Rocklands Round 2!
Love Match, Stone Terrance, Rocklands, ZA
Back in American I unpacked and repacked, within 12 hours I was driving to Maine with Margo.  Sue offered us an incredible opportunity to work with live hagfish and further our research endeavors at Mount Desert Biological Laboratory. It just so happened that Kathleen was living only 6 miles away, this would be the longest we had been together since NOLS, 4 years prior.  The research was enjoyable and had sporadic hours, allowing us time to do all sorts of things.  We got delicious meals, went on gorgeous hikes, went climbing, had Hagfish slime everywhere, and had access to an incredible lab.  We worked as hard as we played and ate fresh lobster without breaking the bank, all in all it was an incredible opportunity learning about the oldest and most interesting fish in the world. 
Hagfish experiments, greatest fish ever!
Following Maine my brother, Jon and I set out to learn more about our roots in Israel.  Having taken a step back from religion over the past few years we did not have many expectations for the trip but we were excited to travel and be able to experience Israel together.  Surprisingly every expectation I had and didn't have were exceeded.  We traveled with some other amazing Americans and well as Israeli soldiers.  I learned more than I had in years of Sunday School and came away with more new friends than I have ever made in 10 days.  It was truly a wonderful and spiritual journey.
The Western Wall
I had a slight lull from my year of travels so I moved to West Virginia with a friend.  We slept in our cars or a tiny cabin, and by tiny cabin I mean 2ish bunk beds and a small fridge at a campground, yep that was all but it was grand.  Waking up and making eggs on the Coleman two burner, packing lunches and then climbing on some of the best quality rock out there.  The climbing was endless and the psych was high.  After climbing I would usually go for a run and then try and get more sponsors for our trip, life was simple and life was good. 
Landon
October rolled around and I said goodbye to West Virginia and all the amazing friends I now had, I'd be back soon and hopefully for a whole season someday.  I headed back to NC to prepare for the big road trip.  Kathleen flew down, we packed up and then we were on our way!  I felt great to cut the ties holding us to the east coast and fly.  Throughout this trip we both were 23 so we found it only natural to try and accomplish 23 things in sets of 23.  Therefore over the next blog posts I will list our "List of 23" things we did in 23!  I hope you enjoy and I promise not all the blog posts will be this long!

To start off, one of the first things we did in 23 was...
#1
Location: Las Vegas, NV
We went trick or treating at 23 different houses before walking the strip.

Our favorite remarks...
From a young boy handing out candy "Aren't y'all a little old to be doing this...Mom I'm not giving them candy"
From a Dad handing out candy "I think I'm going to need to see your IDs."
Betty (from the Flintstones) in Vegas!

No comments:

Post a Comment